By 1956, after a couple of bad years in the hide and wool business, Jack had all but abandoned hides and wool. Steel quickly became the core business and the business that Jack would build his legacy on. In January of 1956 Mr. Kelley moved over from hides and wool to start working in the new steel warehouse that was growing rapidly.
The original warehouse was 60×150 and Mr. Kelley recalled that they thought that was more space than they’d ever need for steel and planned on renting part of the space out. That never happened because within months the steel warehouse was full and they were going to need to expand.